2022 Eastern Pulmonary Conference
Updates In Pulmonary Disease: Current, Relevant & Interactive
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint providership of American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunolgy and Eastern Pulmonary Conference. The American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunolgy is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.”
The American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology (ACAAI) designates this live activity for a maximum of 14.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)TM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
The American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology (ACAAI) is a provider, approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number CEP17239, for 14.25 contact hours.
• Practicing pulmonologists
• Fellows in pulmonary training programs
• Primary care physicians who care for pulmonary patients
• Allied health professionals in the field of pulmonary
At the conclusion of this activity, participants should be able to:
- Recognize the rationale for the clinical work-up of patients with interstitial lung disease and how the treatment of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis has been applied to other fibrotic lung diseases
- Explain the clinical presentations, treatments and outcomes of hypersensitivity pneumonitis and how testing and radiographics can help in the diagnosis.
- Outline and apply the 2020 NAEPP guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of asthma and identify the criteria for severe asthma and current and future biologic therapy to control the disease.
- Recognize the differential diagnosis and workup of patients with eosinophilia and pulmonary infiltrates including eosinophilic granulomatosis with polyangiitis (EGPA)
- Recognize and manage patients with occupational asthma
- Discuss and apply the principles for the use of inhaled corticosteroids for the treatment of stages A-D COPD.
- Recognize how chronic non-invasive positive pressure ventilation can be used in patients with chronic hypercarbic respiratory failure and COPD.
- Discuss the current molecular approaches to the diagnosis of lung cancers and how novel immunotherapy treatments are applied to these cancers. Recognize how these treatments can result in pulmonary complications and use ASCO guidelines to to manage these events.
- Explain the clinical presentations, treatments and outcomes of two major non-infectious pneumonias: hypersensitivity pneumonitis and chronic organizing pneumonia.
- Outline the advances and state of the art approach to pleural infections.
- Discuss the epidemiology, burden of illness and pathophysiology of obstructive sleep apnea and recognize approaches to challenges in treatment approaches.
- Explain the recent advances in understanding the pathogenesis of interstitial lung diseases and the advances on treatment in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis.
- Recognize the manifestations and approaches to “long haulers” following COVID-19 infection
- Apply current evidence-based practices to mechanically ventilated critically ill patients and use current guidelines for the management of pain, delirium and agitation in the ICU.
- Recognize the causes of chronic cough and how to manage these patients
- Use 2020 Delphi consensus recommendations for a treatment algorithm for pulmonary sarcoidosis
All identified conflicts of interest have been mitigated:
Sidney Braman, MD – Planner, Speaker, Moderator: Speaker – Genentech, Merck; Advisor – Boehringer Ingelheim, Bellus; Consultant - Merck
Mario Castro, MD – Speaker: Speaker – AstraZeneca, GSK, Sanofi, Genentech, TEVA, Regeneron, Amgen; Consultant – Novartis, Sanofi, Genentech, TEVA, Arrowhead Pharmaceuticals, Merck; Independent Contractor – AstraZeneca, GSK, Novartis, Pulmatrix, Sanofi, Shionogi,
Gerard Criner, MD – Speaker: Independent Contractor – GSK, Alung Technologie, American College of Radiology, American Lung Association, AstraZeneca, Bioscale, Inc., Boehringer Ingelheim, Breath Therapeutics, COPD Foundation, Corvus, Dr Karen Burns St Michaels Hospital, Fisher and Paykel, Galapagos, Nuvaira, Gala, CSA Medical Spiration, Olympus, Pulmonx, NHLBI, Respivant, Inc., Lungpacer Medical, PCORI, Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation, Respironics, Veracyte; Consultant – GSK, AstraZeneca, Gala, Olympus, Pulmonx, Ion, Medtronic, Novartis
William Corrao, MD – Planner, Moderator, Speaker: Speaker – GSK, Boehringer Ingelheim
Marilyn Glassberg, MD – Speaker: Advisory Board – Bellerophon Therapeutics, Boehringer Ingelheim, Roche/Genentech, Redx, Surrozen, Esperion, Bristol Myers Squibb; Independent Contractor – Roche/Genentech
Nick Hanania, MD – Speaker: Independent Contractor – GlaxoSmithKline, Boehringer Ingelheim, AstraZeneca, Sanofi, Novartis, Genentech; Speaker – Sanofi; Advisory Board – GlaxoSmithKline, Boehringer Ingelheim, AstraZeneca, Sanofi, Genentech, Amgen, Verona, Teva
Sandhya Khurana, MD – Speaker: Royalties – Springer Nature; Independent Contractor – American Lung Association;
Maria Padilla, MD – Speaker: Speaker – France Foundation, Genentech; Independent Contractor – Boehringer Ingelheim; Consultant – Boehringer
Rey Panettieri, MD – Planner, Speaker, Moderator: Speaker – AstraZeneca, Sanofi, Merck; Consultant – RIFM, AstraZeneca, Teva; Advisor – AstraZeneca, Genentech, RIFM; Independent Contractor – AstraZeneca, Genentech, Teva, Equillium, Medimmune, Origo, Activ-I, Janssen, Vault Health, RIFM, Novartis
Charles Powell, MD – Speaker: Consultant – AstraZeneca, Bristol Myers Squibb, Daiichi Sankyo
Ganesh Raghu, MD – Speaker: Consultant – Boehringer Ingelheim, Bristol Meyers Squib, Veracyte; Advisory Board – United Therapeutics
Franck Rahaghi, MD – Speaker: Speaker –Bayer, Janssen, United Therapeutics, Merck; Advisor – Bayer, Janssen, United Therapeutics, Merck; Consultant – Bayer, Janssen, United Therapeutics, Merck; Independent Contractor – Bayer, Janssen, United Therapeutics, Merck
Rbert Settipane, MD – Planner, Moderator: Independent Contractor – AstraZeneca, BioCryst, GSK, Regeneron, Teva, Celldex Therapeutics
Russell Settipane, MD – Planner, Reviewer, Moderator: Speaker – AbbVie, Amgen, AstraZeneca, BioCryst, Pfizer, Genentech, GlaxoSmithKline, Grifols, Pharming, Regeneron, Sanofi, Takeda, Boehringer Ingelheim; Advisory Board – AbbVie, Aimmune, Pfizer, AstraZeneca, BioCryst, Boehringer Ingelheim, Kalvista, Pharming, GlaxoSmithKline, DBV; Independent Contractor – AstraZeneca, GlaxoSmithKline, Teva, BioCryst, Regeneron, Celldex Therapeutics
Momen Wahidi, MD – Speaker: Consultant – Olympus, Cook, Verathon, Veracyte
The following have no relevant financial relationships to disclose:
- Joseph Bellanti, MD - Planner
- William Greisner III, MD – Planner, Moderator
- Kalpalatha Guntupalli, MD – Speaker
- Katelyn Loiselle, BSN, RN – Planner
- Ginny Loiselle – Coordinator
- Michael Slaughter, MD – Planner
- Kelli Wilson – Planner
- 14.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™
- 14.25 Attendance
- 14.25 CBRN