EPC 2021 Updates in Pulmonary Disease - September
Didactic lectures allow the speakers to provide evidence based medical recommendations, updates and expert opinion.
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint providership of the American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology and the Eastern Pulmonary Conference. The American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology (ACAAI) designates this live activity for a maximum of 13.75 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)TM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
The American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology (ACAAI) is a provider, approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number CEP17239, for 13.75 contact hours.
Practicing allergists, pulmonologists and allied healthcare professionals in the field of allergy, asthma and immunology.
At the conclusion of this activity, participants should be able to:
- Recognize the rationale for the clinical work-up of patients with interstitial lung disease and how the treatment of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis has been applied to other fibrotic lung diseases
- Explain the clinical presentations, treatments and outcomes of hypersensitivity pneumonitis and how testing and radiographics can help in the diagnosis.
- Outline and apply the 2020 NAEPP guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of asthma and identify the criteria for severe asthma and current and future biologic therapy to control the disease.
- Recognize the differential diagnosis and workup of patients with eosinophilia and pulmonary infiltrates including eosinophilic granulomatosis with polyangiitis (EGPA)
- Recognize and manage patients with occupational asthma
- Discuss and apply the principles for the use of inhaled corticosteroids for the treatment of stages A-D COPD.
- Recognize how chronic non-invasive positive pressure ventilation can be used in patients with chronic hypercarbic respiratory failure and COPD.
- Discuss the current molecular approaches to the diagnosis of lung cancers and how novel immunotherapy treatments are applied to these cancers. Recognize how these treatments can result in pulmonary complications and use ASCO guidelines to to manage these events.
- Explain the clinical presentations, treatments and outcomes of two major non-infectious pneumonias: hypersensitivity pneumonitis and chronic organizing pneumonia.
- Outline the advances and state of the art approach to pleural infections.
- Discuss the epidemiology, burden of illness and pathophysiology of obstructive sleep apnea and recognize approaches to challenges in treatment approaches.
- Explain the recent advances in understanding the pathogenesis of interstitial lung diseases and the advances on treatment in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis.
- Recognize the manifestations and approaches to “long haulers” following COVID-19 infection
- Apply current evidence-based practices to mechanically ventilated critically ill patients and use current guidelines for the management of pain, delirium and agitation in the ICU.
- Recognize the causes of chronic cough and how to manage these patients
- Use 2020 Delphi consensus recommendations for a treatment algorithm for pulmonary sarcoidosis
All identified conflicts of interest have been mitigated.
The individuals listed below disclose the following financial relationships:
Sidney Braman, MD – CME Planner, Speaker
Speaker – Genentech, Merck
Advisor – Boehringer Ingelheim, GSK, Genentech, Merck
Mario Castro, MD – Speaker
Honorary Grants – NIH, ALA, PCORI, AstraZeneca, GSK, Novartis, Pulmatrix, Sanofi, Shionogi
Speaker – AstraZeneca, GSK, Sanofi, Genentech, TEVA, Regeneron
Consultant – Novartis, Sanofi, Genentech, TEVA
Royalties – Elsevier
Geoffrey Chupp, MD – Speaker
Advisor – AstraZeneca, Sanofi Genzyme, Genentech, Regeneron, GSK, TEVA, Amgen
Speaker – AstraZeneca, Sanofi Genzyme, Genentech, Regeneron, GSK, TEVA, Amgen
Independent Contractor – AstraZeneca, Sanofi Genzyme, Genentech, Regeneron, GSK, TEVA
William Corrao, MD – CME Planner, Moderator, Speaker
Speaker –GSK, Boehringer Ingelheim
Peter Dicpinigaitis, MD – Speaker
Advisor – Bayer, Bellus, Chiesi, Merck, Shionogi
Marilyn Glassberg, MD – Speaker
Advisory Board – Boehringer Ingelheim, Roche/Genentech
Anas Hadeh, MD – Speaker
Advisor – GSK, Insmed
Speaker – GSK, Insmed
Jinesh Mehta, MD – Speaker
Speaker – United Therapeutics, Bayer
Lawrence Mohr, Jr., MD – Speaker
Advisor – World Trade Center Health Program
Royalties – Up to Date
Anne O’Donnell, MD – Speaker
Advisor – Insmed, Electromed, Zambon, Boehringer Ingelheim, AstraZeneca
Independent Contractor – Insmed, Zambon, Paratek, Red Hill
Maria Padilla, MD – Speaker
Speaker – France Foundation, Genentech, Vindico Medical Education
Advisor – Boehringer Ingelheim
Independent Contractor – Boehringer Ingelheim
Rey Panettieri Jr., MD – CME Planner, Speaker
Speaker – AstraZeneca, Sanofi, Genentech
Consultant – RIFM
Advisor - AstraZeneca, Genentech, MedImmune, Theravance, Bayer
Independent Contractor – AstraZeneca, RIFM, Novartis, Maven, Optikira, Genentech, Evelobio,
Johnson & Johnson
Charles Powell, MD – Speaker
Independent Contractor – Daiichi Sankyo
Consultant – AstraZeneca, Johnson & Johnson/Ethicon, Bristol Myers Squibb, Senwha Biosciences
Ganesh Raghu, MD – Speaker
Consultant – Boehringer Ingelheim, Roche
Franck Rahaghi, MD – Speaker
Speaker – Mallinckrodt, Bayer
Advisor – Mallinckrodt, Bayer
Russell Settipane, MD – CME Planner, Reviewer
Speaker – ALK, Genentech, Pharming, Regeneron, Shire, Sunovion, Teva, Boehringer Ingelheim
Consultant – Boehringer Ingelheim, RB Health
Advisory Board – ALK, AstraZeneca, Genentech, Regeneron, Sanofi, Teva, Pharming, GlaxoSmithKline
Independent Contractor – AstraZeneca, Chiesi, Genentech, GlaxoSmithKline, Merck, Novartis, Teva, Syneos Health, BioCryst, Avillon, Regeneron
Momen Wahidi, MD – Speaker
Advisor – Olympus, Pulmonx, Cook, Verathon, Serpex Medical
Speaker – Olympus, Cook
Michael Wechsler, MD – Speaker
Advisor – GSK, AstraZeneca, Sanofi, Regeneron, Novartis, Amgen, Genentech, Equillium, Sentien,
The following have no relevant financial relationships to disclose:
William Greisner III, MD – CME Planner
Katelyn Loiselle, BSN, RN – CME Planner
Ginny Loiselle – Coordinator
David De La Zerda – Speaker
- 13.75 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™
- 13.75 Attendance
- 13.75 CBRN