These are specific instructions to ensure the chart selection is done accurately to be compliant to earn the course credits. Some items to include:
Select 25 patient charts from the past year with the diagnosis of AD. The patient is being managed by you for AD OR Eczema and is on topical treatment including topical corticosteroids.
For each chart, you will evaluate for the following:
- Were other differential diagnoses and co-morbidities of AD addressed during the visit?
- Was the severity of AD addressed during the encounter?
- How frequently does the chart document patient education on skin hydration and moisturization?
- Were topical corticosteroid side effects (skin atrophy, telangiectasias, striae, steroid acne, rosacea, systemic absorption) discussed during the visit?
- How many patients are on topical therapies other than topical steroids such as crisaborole (Eucrisa), calcineurin inhibitors (tacrolimus, pimecrolimus), JAK inhibitor (Ruxolitinib)?
- How many patients are on systemic therapy including oral steroids, other immunosuppressants (cyclosporine, methotrexate, etc.), oral small molecule agents (JAK inhibitors, i.e. abrocitinib, upadacitinib) or biologics (dupilumab, tralokinumab)?
- For patients on systemic therapies, was failure of topical therapy documented and was the patient counseled about side effects?